The basis of the Maryland State flag design is found
in the coats of arms of the Crossland and Calvert families. Sir
George Calvert, the first Lord Baltimore received as a grant of
arms in 1622 a shield bearing six vertical stripes of gold and black
crossed by a diagonal stripe of the same colors in reverse. In 1632,
Sir George Calvert was made Lord Proprietor of an American colony
in which included what is now the State of Maryland. On March 9,
1904, it became the official State flag.